Jewish mementos in Györ-Moson-Sopron Comitatus

Bezi

Bezi lies in the Eastern part of the Györ-Moson-Sopron comitatus, 5 km Northwest of Enese, 20 km West of Györ. Traveling by car from Györ, it can most easily be reached on the main country road no. 85 towards Csorna, one turns right at Enese heading in direction of Bezi. Bezi ows its name to the first settlers there, the Besenyök (Petschenegen), its present spread is the result of Bisseni, Bezi and Bessi growing together.

Cemetery

A statement from 1850 holds that the community consisted of 222 Catholics, 435 Protestants and 130 Jewishs. Bezi now is a lot smaller than it was in 1850. It has less than 500 inhabitants, the Jews have vanished altogether. Only the village cemetery indicates that there must have been Jews living here. Up to 2001 the Jewish cemetery was decaying, covered in weeds. It was then put in order by municipal government and merged with the Catholic and Protestant cemeteries, all three now have one entrance. The dead seem to get along well... Then again, they had lived together peacefully as well. It was politics that interfered with the lives of the locals, up to the deportations they had lived very well with the Jews. Only the older citizens now remember that the merchant in Bezi was called Löwinger... Kohns and Löws lived here as well... until the deportations sealed their fate. There are 50 tombstones in the Jewish cemetery of Bezi, most of them with Hebrew writing and barely legible. The dates too can no longer be deciphered so it is hard to tell how long the cemetery was in use.

by Johannes Scholem Graf & Alexandra Vogt

2012.05.31