Jewish mementos in Györ-Moson-Sopron Comitatus

Györasszonyfa

In 1851 Elek Fényes described the community: “A Hungarian village in the Györ comitatus, by the border of the Veszprém comitatus, 273 Jewish, 537 Catholic inhabitants with affiliated Catholic church, synagogue. Pretty mansions. Good soil. There is wine. Many lordships. Closest post office: Mezö-örs.”
However, the chronicles of the superintendent of the school show that next to the Catholic school there must have been a Jewish one as well. The Israelite school, Winkelschule, is described by the superintendent as five feet in length and four in width and - this is the official wording - no more than a dark, narrow, damp hole opening up from the kitchen. The walls are so wet it would be impossible to put up a chalk board had there been one. There are two long pub tables where the children crouch. Classes are taught in German and Hebrew as well as a little Hungarian. There are no teaching materials apart from a worn counting board.

Cemetery

The old chronicle also has a few pages on the local synagogue. Of the cemetery only fifteen tombstones remain today.
Just before the Second World War the Jewish population in Györasszonyfa counted 40 people. Almost all of them were deported, the majority of them never came back. A few survived, they too left the area. Visitors come from Györ, England, Israel.

by Johannes Scholem Graf & Alexandra Vogt

2012.05.31