Jewish mementos in Györ-Moson-Sopron Comitatus

Sopron

Holocaust Memorial

For the 60th anniversary of the Holocaust a memorial was inaugurated on the Paprét to pay tribute to the Jewish victims of the war.

The newer history of the Paprét merges with that of the Sopron Jews, mainly the orthodox, who strictly follow the ancient traditions. In 1890-91 the orthodox synagogue at Paprét No. 12 was built. Religious life in and around the beautiful building was vivid. The so-called tent celebration was held here, tents were put up under the sycamore trees. Kosher foods were produced in the surrounding buildings which the orthodox prepared and ate according to the religious regulations. At number 26 one learns that a Jeshiva operated in that building. But in 1944, shielded by a wooden wall, part of the ghetto was established here where innocently deported and discriminated Jews languished and hoped until the beginning of July. The Holocaust memorial is the work of sculptor László Kutas.

Cemetery

After the formal request for a cemetery was yet again rejected by the city council in 1862 the leaders of the Jewish community decided to finance a cemetery themselves. The necessary sum was collected and in 1869 the Leimsieder property where the Jewish cemetery is located today was purchased. The Chevra Kadisha was founded the same year, it was headed by Sándor Léderer and counted 60 members. Orthodox as well as neological Jews were buried in the cemetery until 1890 when the orthodox established their own cemetery. The two cemeteries each had an own entrance until after World War Two, when they were opened up into each other. Now only a green area commemorates the fact that there had once been two cemeteries there. They had been bombed in the war, numerous tombstones were damaged or destroyed entirely. It still functioned as a cemetery after the war, many people found their final resting place here. It was most recently tended to in 2000 and 2003. There are over three hundred tombstones in the cemetery. It also holds a mass grave where the forced laborers who lost their lives in Balf lie, as well as some of the martyrs of Lichtenwörth, commemorated by a column.

by Johannes Scholem Graf & Alexandra Vogt

2012.05.27