Jewish Mementos in Vas Comitatus

Nagysimonyi

In the second half of the 18th century there must have been a Jewish community in town. The comitatus’ census regularly indicated Jewish families. In 1848 there were the most Jews living there, 245 people were counted. Their synagogue and other institutions burned to the ground several times. The orthodox prayer house was rebuilt for the last time in 1892. In 1964 the Celldömölk district council claimed the property for the state of Hungary, the post office now stands in its place. The school was added in 1921, it had two teachers. The names of the community’s rabbis are known from 1795 on. 1894-1944 Sabtaj Simon Weisz (Simonyer Rebbe) worked here. He was a famous scientist, well learned in Talmud and Kabbalah. He took part in the Jewish life and was a member of the central council. Many people pilgrimaged to see him, he was known as a “miracle worker”. In February of 1944 he died in the deportations. To this day people put letters on to his grave, asking for certain miracles.

by Johannes Scholem Graf & Alexandra Vogt

2012.07.06