Jewish Mementos in the Zala Comitatus

Jewish Gelse

Jews have been living in Gelse since the end of the 18th century. The most Jews were counted here in 1890, a total of 96 Jewish citizens. The Jewish inhabitants of the notarial district Gelse were probably deported to Nagykanizsa between April 26 and 28 of 1944 or brought to the Zalaszentgrót ghetto in mid May. The community’s prayer house was torn down after the Jews were taken away. The Jewish cemetery still lies at the outskirts of the little town. The World War II memorial in town holds the names of the Jewish victims.

by Johannes Scholem Graf & Alexandra Vogt

2012.11.01