Jewish Mementos in the Zala Comitatus

Jewish Nagykapornak

The first Jews came to live here at the end of the 18th century, in 1890 their number was the highest, 38 Jews lived in Nagykapornak then. The census of April 8, 1944 counted 9 Jews in the notarial district of Nagykapornak of which three actually stayed in Zalaegerszeg. Two of the Jews did not have to wear discriminating badges. 15 people were deported to the Zalaegerszeg ghetto on May 1.

The Jewish cemetery was reinstated in autumn of 2007. The Jewish victims of the war are commemorated by a memorial in the centre of the village.

by Johannes Scholem Graf & Alexandra Vogt

2012.11.01