Jewish Mementos in the Zala Comitatus
The market town of Türje was formed by
the merging of Külső-Türje and Belső-Türje in 1900. Jews settled in there
since the end of the 19th century. In 1880 their proportion was the highest and
in 1890 the total number of Israelites in the town was at its highest, reaching
74 persons. The censuses of Jews from the 19 hundreds record a Schlesinger and a
Weisz family in Türje. The Schlesinger family stayed in Türje permanently, the
Weisz family only took up permanent residence with Sámuel Weisz (1835-1893) and
his wife Borbála Rechnitzer (1840-1919), they settled in Türje and raised
their children there. Apart from the two families mentioned there were others
living in the town and they contributed much to the development of trade and
economy. The sons generally carried on their father's line of business (trade,
gastronomy and butchery), the members of the Lang and Vértes (Weisz) families
were mostly butchers. György Vértes, the older son of Zsigmond Vértes, a
caterer deceased in 1927, received permission to trade with slaughtered animals.
Of the 40 Jews that were deported during the Holocaust only 4 returned home, among the victims were Zsigmondné Vértes, born Aranka Spiegel, Béláné Hofbauer, born Ilona Vértes and Ignác Vértes.
A memorial for the martyrs with the names of all the victims stands in the Jewish cemetery and in town there is a memorial for the Second World War. The local sports club is named after György Vértes (1904-1983) who did a lot for sports in Türje. The memorial plaque for György Vértes was crafted by a prized sculptor, it was put up on the wall of the the changing rooms at the athletic grounds.
by Johannes Scholem Graf & Alexandra Vogt